POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : waste of time! : Re: waste of time! Server Time
17 Jun 2024 07:35:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: waste of time!
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Jan 2008 11:55:01
Message: <web.479e07b2b082306ef48316a30@news.povray.org>

> > It all began with a challenge in a brazilian forum, when some guy claimed this
> > scene:
> > http://200.213.105.41/greysilica/exemplos/cjcopojateado.png
> >
> > took him 48 hours to render with Blender internal renderer.
> >
> > Surely something was wrong, or so I thought.  Well, in the region between the
> > bottom of second row cups and the top of first row cups, render time was about
> > 11 minutes a line!  It is all about refractions, normals and fresnel
> > reflections.  40 hours total on a P4 2.66 with povray 3.6.1...
> >

> I forgot to mention: I definitely prefer your image than the original :)

you povray fanboy! :P

anyway, I felt the colors ended up a bit washed up.  But I definitely liked the
reflections a lot more.  His just show the closer cups.  I wonder if he did
limit it somehow, just for the reflections, no refractions.  I wonder if it'd
be possible for us to have a max_trace_level separate for reflections and
refractions...