POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : macro or include file to make rocks ?? : Re: macro or include file to make rocks ?? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: macro or include file to make rocks ??
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 25 Jan 2008 18:05:01
Message: <web.479a6af824083e7c2ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
john <joh### [at] worldcom> wrote:
> I want to make a base for a sculpture.
>
> I want to have a stone with the top surface polished and the sides
> very rough as if they had just been excavated from a quarry.
>
> Does anyone know of a macro or include file that can generate
> something like this.  Ideally I would like to be able to define the
> dimensions and also the roughness of the vertical surfaces while
> leaving the top flat and polished.
>
> John

Try intersecting 4 heightfields (for the sides) with a box (for the top and
bottom).  You can apply whatever pattern/scale to the heightfields to get the
look you want.  I have a macro I made up somewhere that does just this with all
six sides that could be modified easily.  I'll see if I can dig it up.  It
shouldn't be too difficult to figure out on your own if you know how to use
heightfields with internal patterns or functions.

-tgq