POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies : Re: (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies Server Time
14 May 2024 06:56:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: (First?) Contribution Drive: Office Supplies
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 21 Jan 2008 20:15:00
Message: <web.4795436421a87b7e2ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
"St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> > St. wrote:
> >> "Chambers" <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote in message
> >>
> >>      In this day and age, that's a real shame.
> >>
> >>        ~Steve~
> >
> > Don't get me wrong - there's no way I'd turn away a good model if one got
> > submitted.  I just prefer CSG for its flexibility (through macros and / or
> > parameters), compactness, and the fact that it uses real curves.
>
>     Hmm, well, true. It's just me though, I feel restricted when I can offer
> so much with an .obj mesh. After what now, six, seven years(?) using PoV,
> I'll never be able to handle CSG properly, it's just not my thing. I admire
> the guys that can though, no doubt about that.
>
>      ~Steve~
>

> > --
> > ...Ben Chambers
> > www.pacificwebguy.com

Nothing wrong with either CSG or meshes I think.  The advantage of CSG is the
making of parameterable(?) objects, e.g. a table where you can define the
height, widht and length (which aren't dependent on just straight scale
factors).  Of course you can try to hand-code a mesh that has some variable
adjustment (I've done a few).  You can also wrap meshes in a macro that can
carry additional simple parameters like scaling and textures.
I tend to use a lot of CSG when modelling, mainly because I don't want to take
the time to learn a modeller, but also for the parameterability(?).  For
instance, the smurf house I posted a while back is pure CSG and has a number of
variables that I can change on the fly to adjust it's look.
I do occasionally use meshes as well though, either premade meshes by others or
for example, meshes made from TopMod.
I guess after all this, I'll have to submit an object or two now...

-tgq