POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pachelbel Rant : Re: Pachelbel Rant Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pachelbel Rant
From: nemesis
Date: 20 Jan 2008 15:55:01
Message: <web.4793b4f94158ffb1985111ae0@news.povray.org>
Kevin Wampler <wampler+pov### [at] uwashingtonedu> wrote:
> In particular, Ligeti's handling of
> orchestral and choral texture seems quite adept to me, and it doesn't
> sound like a bunch of voices senselessly moaning, but rather a piece
> with definite carefully wrought structure.

structure, texture, rhythm and color alone don't make good music.  There should
be harmonic progression.  Coherent harmonic progression.  atonal music fails
here...

> after I'd tried each enough times I began
> to think "ahh, now I begin to get what other people see in this"

to get drunk? ;)

yes, everything in life can become familiar once we deal with it everyday.  If
you're a beggar, eating junk is not weird at all.  Seemingly, you could just
say:  "you know, that Cage guy was right.  Those guys at the construction site
near office make some wonderful music!"