POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting : Re: Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Macros and scenes for theatre sets and lighting
From: TheOzule
Date: 18 Jan 2008 05:50:00
Message: <web.4790834ab65996b08c76e7b20@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "TheOzule" <chr### [at] chris-oslandorguk> wrote:
> > I'm just putting together a set of .inc and .pov files for modelling theatres,
> > theatre sets and theatre lighting.
>
> Hi, Chris...
.... snip
> Curious to know how (of if) you're dealing with the color-temperature shifts of
> the lights as they are dimmed down. Assuming regular (i.e., non-LED) bulbs. I'm
> guessing it's a fairly complex computation.
>
> I'm not familiar with the lighting instruments you mentioned. Where are you
> located?
>
> Ken W.

Hi Ken,

Second question first: I'm in the UK, near Oxford.  Although I do lighting for a
few groups, the one I'm part of (and helped found 20 odd years ago) is
Stagelights - amateur group, about 30 members, productions put on in a
multi-purpose hall with a severe ridge roof (8 feet high at the outside walls,
30 feet high in the middle!).

The lanterns I have are almost all second-hand (apart from LEDs which I haven't
tackled yet): makers are Strand, CCT, Teatro(Coemar) and others.

Re colour-temperature, sorry to disappoint but I haven't tackled it at all (nor
even the non-linear dimmer curve), but specifying the rig would get even more
complicated (and so less likely for anyone to bother) if the designer also had
to feed in different bulb characteristics - which would be necessary for a
thorough job.

My main aim was to get a system that was about equally fair to set design and
lighting design, although now I can import a dimmer setting array from Excel I
must admit that lighting has run a bit ahead of set design!  I think it will be
a system that is useful to me, as set and lighting designer, to check out ideas,
and should be invaluable as a means of communicating with director (and actors)
ahead of them seeing the actual set.

I hope to have a releasable version sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers

Chris