POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A view more ideas : Re: A view more ideas Server Time
19 May 2024 19:54:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A view more ideas
From: Tom York
Date: 17 Jan 2008 16:30:00
Message: <web.478fc85849ba47407d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> BTW, yafray has
> got development issues too, despite being open-source.  You know, rendering
> techniques are some of the most difficult software hurdles out there: nobody
> quite knows the necessary math alright, it's difficult to come up with proper,
> efficient implementations...  But yafray's source is available for anyone who
> has the guts to try to implement something.  With povray 3.7 there's no such
> choice as of now.

Did I not read somewhere on here recently that the 3.7 beta source will be
released soon?

At least in my case, I'm not interested in fiddling with Yafray source because
of blender. I don't enjoy using blender, and yafray is meant to be used with
blender; trying to improving yafray is kind of pointless if I'm going to hate
interacting with the result. I think I'm in a minority there, though.

I think the main reason that Yafray may be lagging is not really complexity but
that Blender itself is so successful. I suspect more people are interested in
animation using blender's own internal renderer at speed than in large stills
rendered using yafray. In that context, more people are going to be adding
tools and features to blender rather than yafray because it better fits their
needs (and is probably quite a bit more immediate).

> the main developer got hired by MentalImages and couldn't work on it any
> further.  Without a main interested developer and with a small comunity, the
> project dies regardless of the source...

In toXic's case I think it just wasn't well known by the time he left. Last time
I looked at aqsis it was in a similar state, but the main developer was still
around (and vexed that it wasn't getting much use, IIRC).

Tom