POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A view more ideas : Re: A view more ideas Server Time
19 May 2024 20:46:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A view more ideas
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Jan 2008 15:55:00
Message: <web.478fbfc149ba4740773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Tom York" <alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom> wrote:
> As long as I've been here I've got the impression that the development cycle is
> as the POV team wants it to be.

yes, we can only sit and hope it eventually gets released.

> Perhaps they want only to ensure that 3.7 is
> fully tested before release, I don't know.

In order to test, there should be features to be tested.  Radiosity has been in
alpha stages ever since.  No matter how much testing, that won't get it
properly implemented.  Development resources will.

> There is no reason why a project with
> a closed source development stage can't do adopt that particular method *if*
> they really do want more developers. If at a point where nobody is needed, the
> "Contribute" page can simply say that.

so, they don't want more developers and we just sit and wait... BTW, yafray has
got development issues too, despite being open-source.  You know, rendering
techniques are some of the most difficult software hurdles out there: nobody
quite knows the necessary math alright, it's difficult to come up with proper,
efficient implementations...  But yafray's source is available for anyone who
has the guts to try to implement something.  With povray 3.7 there's no such
choice as of now.

> As a counter-example, toXic Render was a very nice renderer with lots of
> potential that had an open source development policy and died completely.

the main developer got hired by MentalImages and couldn't work on it any
further.  Without a main interested developer and with a small comunity, the
project dies regardless of the source...