POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A view more ideas : Re: A view more ideas Server Time
19 May 2024 17:53:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A view more ideas
From: Tom York
Date: 17 Jan 2008 14:15:01
Message: <web.478fa84649ba47407d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Being in beta stage for well over 3 years and still with subpar radiosity and
> photon mapping should ring a bell?

As long as I've been here I've got the impression that the development cycle is
as the POV team wants it to be. Perhaps they want only to ensure that 3.7 is
fully tested before release, I don't know.

> It's not like you'll see a "Hiring now" ad on povray frontpage:  it's a
> semi-open-source project!

Does not follow. To pick one of your random examples, I know that Yafray is
fully open source, and so they will get developers whether they want them or
not via public source repository, but they also have a whacking great
"Contribute" button plainly visible on the first page of the website, which
then takes you to a simple email address. There is no reason why a project with
a closed source development stage can't do adopt that particular method *if*
they really do want more developers. If at a point where nobody is needed, the
"Contribute" page can simply say that.

On the other hand ISTR that the POV TAG was set up because too many people were
spamming the developers, so perhaps things are the way they are because that's
as the POV team want it.

As a counter-example, toXic Render was a very nice renderer with lots of
potential that had an open source development policy and died completely.

Tom