POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : xkcd : Re: xkcd Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: xkcd
From: bluetree
Date: 17 Jan 2008 14:00:00
Message: <web.478fa590218972c81f92431b0@news.povray.org>
> Nobody knows everything, so some people know some things and other
> people know others. I know things that many people don't know. Many
> people know things that I don't. It's part of what makes everybody
> different...

....and the world not too boring. :)

Nice discussion!

I *have* to join: :)

--Yes, if you are very motivated and want to show that (or not), it's very good
to know the people, who invented those things of your field (IT, trade,
science, etc) [and why and how]. You are showing interest, more than only
telling someone "it's just the way it is".
--If you "just" know the way, how and why they did come up to their theory and
you can use it for your special case/problem, it's also good.
 --But it is quite bad only to learn names, because you want to show that you
know quite a lot about a topic (but are not really interested in).
I really know, why we had to learn that Mr. X did things Y. in the year of XY,
where the people didn't have the comfort, which we are having now. But I really
can't figure out a reason, why we should learn, that Mrs. X. with name X and
surname XX pushed her man Mr. X. with Xx and helped him that way to do XXx? Or
at least I can't figure out any other reason than showing respect to that great
inventors, whose theories and technologies improved our lives...
So far to your problem of only knowing a few peoples names. :)

Regards
               bluetree