POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : A view more ideas : Re: A view more ideas Server Time
19 May 2024 18:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A view more ideas
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Jan 2008 13:00:01
Message: <web.478f978149ba4740773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Tom York" <alp### [at] zubenelgenubi34spcom> wrote:
> "nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> >
> > > Isn't it a bit early? From what I see here the requirements for POV 4 aren't
> > > anywhere near known, and until they are you don't need programmers.
> >
> > No programmers also mean povray 3.7 in beta status for a few more years and
> > povray 4 nowhere in sight.  Povray needs developers, not offtopic whinners.
>
> I can't find anything about more developers being wanted for 3.7 on
> www.povray.org, which might be one reason why there's any shortage. I didn't
> even realise you could apply to work on 3.7 - are you entirely sure about this?

Being in beta stage for well over 3 years and still with subpar radiosity and
photon mapping should ring a bell?  It's not like you'll see a "Hiring now" ad
on povray frontpage:  it's a semi-open-source project!  How do you cope with
that to attract developers?  How can I contribute to the project?  There's no
source I can download and play to test and debug!

In the meantime, several different raytracers and renderers have been developed
and are thriving integrated to modellers like Blender and Wings3D.  Indigo,
Luxrender, Yafray... heck, Blender Internal and simple raytracer is capable of
incredible images by just employing (fast) Ambient Occlusion alone.  It even
comes with pretty good true subsurface scattering calculations!  It uses
multiple threads and passes!

that's all the difference a lot of motivated developers and huge community can
make...