POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : slim photon rendering : Re: slim photon rendering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slim photon rendering
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 15 Jan 2008 13:45:00
Message: <web.478cfebcf8645352b62362f80@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> What exactly do you see?
> You may be able to go by without using photons. If you only see the screen and
> not the mirror nor the objects that cast the shadows, you can use some tricks.
> Use an orthographic camera with a projection plane equivalent to the screen.
> Replace the mirror by a white surface.
> Have all objects be completely black. pigment{rgb 0}
> Keep the spotlight as it is.
>
> The objects before the surface will cast shadows on the plane.
> The objects after the plane will hide it and show as black silouetes.
> Net result: only use direct view and only test for shadow.
>
> Autostop is usefull if you have objects that don't fill ther bounding box, not
> usefull in your case.
> adc_bailout is for multiple reflections and transmission. It limit the number of
> surfaces treated when the surface contribution drop under a given treshold
> value: not your case.
>
> --
> Alain
> Congregationalist: Shit that happens to one person is just as good as shit that
> happens to another.

Alain,

Interesting idea. Thinking through it though, for my application, i think it
would not work. Shadows grow with the distance of the object to the screen.
Using parallel projection is not going to give me that effect. Also my screen
is not paralell to the mirror glass. (I think I did not mention that in my
scene description, sorry.) Thanks, anyway!