POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Graininess : Re: Graininess Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:21:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Graininess
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 14 Jan 2008 15:00:00
Message: <web.478bbe1722fbe8cfc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Two things:
> >
> > >  #local SphereGrid_bounds = sphere
> > >  {
> > >   0, SphereGrid_radius
> > >  }
> >
> > This is causing a coincident surface problem.  Make the radius slightly larger
> > (eg: SphereGrid_radius*1.001)
>
> I changed this but didn't notice a difference. Where does this have an effect?

At the surface of the sphere.  If you make the grid thickness large enough, you
should see the difference.  You are bounding the difference object to a sphere
of 1 unit radius, then differencing that from a sphere of 1 unit radius.

> Doh! That resolves one of the issues. However, the problem with the area under
> the grid and above the cut-away portion of the sphere still remains. I'm at a
> complete loss.

You are still having the same problem with your cones, or rather similar.  You
are now working from 0 to 180 degrees, with the angle being the angle from the
north pole.  The cone has a defined height of 2*SphereGrid_radius*y, but the
radius of the cone is 2*SphereGrid_radius*abs(tand(SphereGrid_value)).  When
angle=90, tan(90)=undefined, giving you a problematic cone, which happens to be
the equator gridline.  If you want to continue the way you have it, have an
additional #if statement for SphereGrid_value=90 which differences a box
instead.

-tgq