POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) : Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) Server Time
18 May 2024 19:11:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge)
From: COMPATT
Date: 11 Jan 2008 15:45:01
Message: <web.4787d51e2ef1916db4f8b8a40@news.povray.org>
Thanks again for all the help.

When I created the planet using a blob then subtracted out negative blobs the
size of crater floors, the rendering of the planet including my crater objects
increased immensly. Now when I create the moon using the entire 8000+ crater
database it only takes 2.5 min to render the whole 2048x1024 image!!!

Now I can focus on reducing the parse time for the files (which is over 4 hours)
I already know how to do that part by pre-processing the crater data so POV-Ray
will not have to test each crater against all of the already existing ones for
the overlap condition. This is not to hard to do using C++ I just didn't want
to waste time trying to reduce parse time when it would still take almost a
week to render the scene after parsing was over.

If I can end up reducing parse time half as much as I have the rendering (with
the help of all your advice)This macro may even be useful in animations.

I had planned on adding blobs to the macro down the road for making craters on
irregular shapes like asteroids.  It never occured to me I could use a blob
object for the spherical planets and moons as well.

Thanks so much for providing the missing puzzle piece!!