POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) : Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) Server Time
17 May 2024 06:46:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge)
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 9 Jan 2008 09:10:01
Message: <web.4784d4d22ef1916dc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Removing tons of objects from a main object will result in a very slow
> render. I don't think there's currently any way around that.
>
>   If you can create a single mesh from your cratered planet, that would
> render very fast.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Yes, no real way around it, sometimes manually bounding can give a little speed
boost, but not much.  The original object can be broken into smaller pieces as
well and manually bound, but this can be difficult to implement very well, at
least for a significant speed improvement.

But, removing a single blob entity consisting of several blobs is considerably
faster than removing the equivalent in spheres, if the objects can be made of
blobs (using the basic formula in the docs, you can mathematically get the
blobs the same size as spheres of a specific radius)

A mesh would likely be far quicker (at rendering) and likely far more versatile.

-tgq