POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : slim photon rendering : Re: slim photon rendering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: slim photon rendering
From: CAD-Andi
Date: 9 Jan 2008 08:20:00
Message: <web.4784c8f1f8645352b62362f80@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> CAD-Andi napsal(a):
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm experimenting with POVRay to simulate a simple physics-lab setup involving
> > the following:
> >
> > A spot light
> > A Mirror Surface (does not need to be visible, just must perfectly reflect the
> > light.)
> > Some shadow generating objects before and after the mirror (invisible to the
> > camera too)
> > A semi-transparent Screen that catches and displays the reflected photons.
> >
> > I've accomplished this task already by using "double_illuminate" for the
> > screen., but I'm struggling with optimizing the render time.
> > I understand that photons take their time to be calculated. But for a simple
> > setup like
> > this I hope I can keep the render time under halve a minute for a 600x800 image.
> > Can someone give me some hands on tipps about best global settings and about how
> > useful
> > commands like "autostop" and other options like "adc_bailout" could be?
> > Maybe with a little example script, optimized for fast calculation, showing a
> > sharp and crisp projection of light reflected by a rectangular mirror against a
> > screen. I don't need fancy blending and anti-alias. Speed is what I seek :-) ...
> > Thanks in advance!!
> >
> > PS: I think POVRay is the cooles thing since melted cheese!
> >
> > Andi
> >

> the 'autostop' doesn't help much since the mirror is equal to its own
> bounding box
> I guess the photons only take one bounce - off the mirror - so the never
> bailout, either
> try reducing the photon count or increasing the spacing (whichever you use)
> save_file the photons if you can

Jan,

Thanks for your answer. Does saving the photon map do any good if the
orientation of the mirror changes from frame to frame? I suspect not, because
the photons would be reflected into a diferent direction. Right?
Is there anything else one could think of? Reducing the number of photons
resulted in poor coverage of the screen, expecially when the light hits the
screen under a slim angle.
Thanks again ...

Andi