POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) : Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge) Server Time
18 May 2024 17:03:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SLOOW CSG rendering with large num of complex objects (union or merge)
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Jan 2008 20:30:00
Message: <web.478423762ef1916d4f3cb5930@news.povray.org>
"COMPATT" <com### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> The floor inside an impact crater is always lower than that of the original
> surface outside of the crater this means I have to remove enough of the
> original sphere's surface where the crater will "sit" so the inside of the
> crater is below the surface it impacts on. Every time I do this by subtracting
> the craters from the planet using a difference CSG, the render time goes from a
> couple of min to literaly days (almost a week).

is the crater an isosurface or insane amount of blobs?  sure difference with
that will be slow...

> I have tried this with both
> union and merge with no change in the slowness of the render any ideas on how to
> speed this up would be greatly appreciated.

hmm, if union isn't any faster than merge... have you rendered the crater alone
to measure its render time?

supposing the planet is a sphere (or a blob), if you just make a difference with
an unevenly scaled sphere (component) and union the result with the crater, does
it get any slower than the rendering time of the crater alone?