POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Using POV to render only : Re: Using POV to render only Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Using POV to render only
From: CyrusA
Date: 7 Jan 2008 20:10:01
Message: <web.4782cc5e54ece7eb83de9c010@news.povray.org>
> Warp escribió:
> > Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
> >> http://stuff.povaddict.com.ar/povray.zip
> >
> >> PS: it's 3.6.1. I merged the Windows config and makefiles with the unix
> >> 3.6.1 code, since there is no 3.6.1 win code yet.
> >
> >   Btw, are you sure your distribution above complies with the POV-Ray
> > distribution license?
>
> I added the license files to the zip.
>
> Should also include the source code I used? I just copied all source/*
> files from 3.6.1 unix to 3.6 win directory (since there is no win 3.6.1
> code yet), modified optout.h as required (DISTRIBUTION_MESSAGE_2), and
> tweaked config.h for my MinGW version.

I am considering incorporating POV-Ray into a program I am developing that
creates an engineering connection component based on user input. Long story
short - the user enters certain parameters (beam width, load, etc.)  and my
program designs the physical connection component. My program calls POV-Ray and
feeds it command line parameters that define the connection object, POV-Ray
renders it, and then my program displays the 3-D image that POV-Ray generates.

My question is how I can figure out if this is compliant with the licensing
agreement of POV-Ray. My program will be sold for-profit, and I do not mind
releasing the source code as well. I just want to know if running POV-Ray in
this fashion and incorporating the output into my program is kosher. If this is
not the correct place to ask this, please let me know if you know where I should
be inquiring for this information.

Thank you,

Cyrus