POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Holograms for camouflage! : Re: Holograms for camouflage! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:24:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Holograms for camouflage!
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 4 Jan 2008 15:25:01
Message: <web.477e95942c095560e2b2e7080@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:
> Email I got:
>
> "Hello
>
> I have an idea to use holograms to aid in camouflage while hunting. My idea
> is that the hunter could carry a digital camera, photograph the terrain
> right where he wants to sit and wait for his quarry, upload the photo into a
> small holographic projector, and then project the image onto himself, or
> onto a light mesh screen or some other see through fabric as camouflage.
>
> Would you be interested in teaming up to develop and market this type of
> product? I have contacts who do the marketing and some development but do
> not have the expertise in the area of holograms, and also some contacts at
> Cabela's.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> [name removed]
> Construction Manager
> TIC - The Industrial Company Wyoming, Inc."
>
> I don't know what is most funny. That he thinks that holograms can just be
> created from any regular photo and then projected onto any surface, that he
> thinks people would actually carry and set up such a kit while hunting [not
> that I have any experience with hunting, but it sounds clumsy], or that he
> thinks it would be any useful. I mean, will the dear go like "Ooh, there's
> some of the forest shaped like a person. How ever more convincing it is than
> if he had worn regular camouflage clothes!"
>
> What should I answer...? :D

Dear [name removed],

This is just about the most splendid new product idea that I've ever heard!
I estimate that the project could be completed in approximately five years given
an R & D budget of three million US dollars annually.  For *technical* reasons,
it is imperative that the research be conducted in Namibia, the Republic of the
Philippines or some other county with no extradition treaty with the United
States.  Also, since the holographic research equipment is very sensitive to
electromagnetic fluctuation, it would be best not to risk an electronic funds
transfer into a registered account.  I shall forward the GPS coordinates at
which cash payment of the research funds can be airdropped. (Canadian Gold
Maple Leaf coins would work particularly well.)  I am very much looking forward
to sharing this adventure in new technology with you and our partners.

Sincerely, ...

Be sure NOT to mention that "R & D" stands for Relaxation and Diversion ;-)

"Sincerely",
Mike C.