POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Most incomprehensible films ever : Re: Most incomprehensible films ever Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most incomprehensible films ever
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Jan 2008 11:55:00
Message: <web.477e63d28e000fee773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Phil Cook" <phi### [at] nospamrocainfreeservecouk> wrote:
> And lo on Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:51:34 -0000, nemesis
> <nam### [at] gmailcom> did spake, saying:
>
> > Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >
> >> Oh, is *that* why they went there? (And that's where "there" was...)
> >
> > I think that's pretty obvious, no?  All that space ballet until they get
> > to the
> > moon and Dr. Floyd is told of the discovery... then, it cuts to a manned
> > mission to Jupiter where the tripulants are actually unaware of the real
> > mission, confided to HAL alone:  to search for the giant monolith near
> > the
> > giant planet.  Eventually, the crew's mission conflict with HAL's main
> > mission
> > and the AI becomes "paranoid", so to speak.  The shit hits the fans and
> > it's up
> > to Dave to turn off HAL to save his life.  In the process he discovers
> > the real
> > purpose and gets to the monolith to know the truth.  The bad acid trip
> > could be
> > seen as the monolith opening a worm whole and getting Dave closer for
> > inspection
> > by the creators...
>
> I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic

I was not.  I just described the plot.

> See the monolith teaches the apes how to build spaceships out of bone,

no, the monolith instigates curiosity and spark of intelligence grews around the
apes around it.  It shows afterward first contact, they learning and mastering
how to use a tool and them a poetic license is used by showing the tool -- a
bone -- being throw high by the monkey and then the scene cuts to the future
and a space ship, result of countless years of tool-making by the intelligent
race.  Is it so hard to get it from the movie?

I guess some people have trouble with continuity in non-linear plots... for
instance, I showed my ex-wife this strip:
http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF162-Executive_Decision.jpg

and she had trouble figuring it out...

> Meanwhile on a flight to Jupiter the controlling computer goes
> mad and starts singing "Daisy, Daisy" until the one member of crew who
> hasn't died from bashing his head against the wall pulls the plug and

that's sarcasm.