POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wonderful products from microsoft : Wonderful products from microsoft Server Time
11 Oct 2024 01:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Wonderful products from microsoft
From: gregjohn
Date: 3 Jan 2008 07:55:01
Message: <web.477cdaa098278ce534d207310@news.povray.org>
The coolest Microsoft application ever, IMNSHO,  ***was***  Microsoft Photo
Editor.  The HDD died on the WinXP laptop I use in my place of employment. With
the new HDD came the latest suite of Office products.  To my chagrin,  Microsoft
Photo Editor is gone and replaced by Microsoft Office Picture Manager.  It is
terrible.

In my day job, I have to resize, copy and paste images into Rich Text Editors
dozens of times a week. I look at thumbnails in various directories of a file
manager, then open the few that are relevant to a report I am writing and then
make the changes.  MPE was pretty cool for this.  GIMP 2.4 is a little bit
better than previous versions, but it's still too stupid to know to "keep
single instance."

MOPM on the other hand, doesn't allow one to paste the copied image to another
app, which I find completely asinine. (Hellloooo, some folks could actually be
trying to paste to Powerpoint, yes?)   What it looks like is the result of an
executive saying, "Design a product that will keep barely computer-literate
folks off of flickr and Picasaweb."  It has the Vista zombie look and feel to
it, in that it prevents you from having full power to do what you want with
your images, except for the purposes it purposes you to have.

I've tried Picasa as a substitute, but it's a little bit clunky.

Any other products out there?

(Notepad, btw, is a cool app.  All the time I'm copying stuff which comes with
all kinds of unwanted rich text or other garbage.  Sometimes, "All I want is
the ASCII, ma'am.")