POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Oblique projection : Re: Oblique projection Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:25:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oblique projection
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 2 Jan 2008 15:20:00
Message: <web.477bf0d5443d65d7c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"SharkD" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Oblique projection should be achieved by simply skewing the projection plane. It
> shouldn't matter if you modify "direction", or "right" and "up". I prefer not
> messing with the direction, as that makes more sense in my mind.
>
> "Slime" <fak### [at] emailaddress> wrote:
> > Also, if I understand the oblique projection, I think you may be going for
> > something more like this:
> >
> > camera
> > {
> >     direction < .5, .5, 1 >
> >     right x*1.3333
> >     up y
> > }
> >
> > This uses the regular right and up vectors but a diagonal direction vector
> > so that more distant objects are displayed with a horizonal and vertical
> > offset.
> >
> >  - Slime
> >  [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

I think true oblique projection is impossible from camera settings alone as it
has no direct correlation to any single camera viewing projection.  The front
views are show face on as in orthographic projection, but the sides are give a
forced 3d look by skewing them.  To achieve this with a camera, it would need
to have two viewing vectors, one for viewing the face-on surfacesand another
for the sides.
You can try to fake it with orthographic viewing (or a really far perspective
view) and try to get the up and right vectors oriented to kep the desired
'front' face prependicular, but this will still be just an orthographic
projection and not true oblique.

The only real way to do it would be to use a matrix transform to skew your
objects instead as has already been suggested.

-tgq