POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sketchup versus povray : Re: Sketchup versus povray Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sketchup versus povray
From: gregjohn
Date: 23 Dec 2007 10:00:01
Message: <web.476e7748173ea80d34d207310@news.povray.org>
"Rune" <aut### [at] runevisioncom> wrote:

Having been to a SIGGRAPH conference, I have seen what by one measure is great
work in animation, ranging across multiple styles. Some of the stuff obtusely
made use of state of the art features of high end packages and was "great" but
completely unenjoyable.

I would take less offense at the idea that my animation talent is not world-wide
in quality than that povray, per se, is inevitably doomed to be unable to
produce in this field, even efficiently.  It just needs the right SDL system.
For example, with a little work, I could get my system to read mocap files--
characters could even be constructed directly from any arbitrary mocap data.

Two other points:
i) I still think it's incredibly cool I can get my life's creative work on one
CD. (The SDL files). How many other artists can say that.

ii) I once told a friend I was into computer animation. Soon his cousin was
emailing me to offer a hacked version of a high-end 3D program. This was the
life-- they had to hack software they couldn't afford to use otherwise.
For some of those SIGGRAPH presentations, it seemed like the software companies
were sponsors.

Just musin',
greg.