POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : clipped_by, complex unions and bad csg results : Re: clipped_by, complex unions and bad csg results Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:46:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clipped_by, complex unions and bad csg results
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Dec 2007 00:10:01
Message: <web.4766047b5c01085978dcad930@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Samuel Benge nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/10/11 18:05:

> > Has anyone else encountered strange results when trying to difference,
> > intersect or merge unions of clipped_by objects? Was there a workaround?
> > I'm beginning to think there isn't a solution....
> >
> > Sam
>
> It could be a bounding problem.
> Have you tried adding: bounded_by { clipped_by }? This will add a manual
> bounding conforming to the clipping object.

I have a suggestion--which may not have any relevance--but you might try
changing Remove_Bounds=on/off and/or Bounding_Threshold=*some integer* in your
..INI file. That has helped me in some *odd* situations. Sorry I can't be more
specific as to *why* this trick (sometimes) works; I don't quite understand it
myself. The default Bounding_Threshold in POV-Ray is 3--or so it seems--not 25
as mentioned in the docs. Try alternately changing it to 1, or to 50 or more
(i.e., two extremes.)

I'd be curious to know if this helps.

Ken