POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Sponge : Re: Sponge Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sponge
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 15 Dec 2007 11:00:00
Message: <web.4763f9f0d68f7f9f2ae8612c0@news.povray.org>
Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote:
> Archpawn wrote:
> > I need to make a sponge. The kitchen kind, not the cool mathematical surface.
> > I've tried making it using an isosurface with f_noise3d. It looked almost, but
> > not quite, entirely unlike a sponge. The second thing I tried was making a
> > script to show a huge number of spheres clipped by each other and the rectangle
> > that contained them. That one was recognizable as a sponge, but barely. It's
> > going to be the main part of the picture, so I can't just use a spongy texture.
> > All I can think of is essentially using an actual picture of one. Any ideas?
> >

> Have you tried a pigment function for your isosurface?
> I'm thinking granite might look good.

If you are looking for a sponge-like pattern for an isosurface, you essentially
need little spheres subtracted from another shape.  For the little spheres, try
the crackle pattern with "form <1,0,0>" and combine it with your main sponge
shape.  You will likely need to play with the threshold value and scaling.  I
haven't tried this yet, but I have used it for other things which need random
circular shapes like raindrop ripples such as in
[http://barberofcivil.deviantart.com/art/BuoyOBuoy-v2-CGSphere-49226103]

-tgq