POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : povray 3.7 source code : Re: povray 3.7 source code Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.7 source code
From: Calvin
Date: 14 Dec 2007 11:55:00
Message: <web.4762b3f24fd42ca477a62f940@news.povray.org>

> > Looking at the open source plans for povray 4.0, I think it's safe to assume
> > that the reason you won't provide source code is not because of any
> > copyright/trade secret restrictions. I assume that you are concerned about
> > having to provide support for code that hasn't been fully tested, which is
> > understandable, though I think you would be able to complete 3.7 much faster if
> > you were to allow more people access to the source code.
>
> It has always been this way for all releases I have seen. The source
> gets released along with the binaries, when the new version is finished.

It's a cathedral approach to an OpenSource project. It's really very odd
compared to most OpenSource projects. It's the primary cause for us being in
3.7 betas for around 3 years...

IIRC, there is a concern about code being donated under the current license
needing to be re-written or re-donated under the new proposed license. (But
this is from memory from over a year ago.)

And Nicolas, you're right - it always has been this way for POV, and I've been
using it since the days of DKBTrace. However, the postings last year (along
with the Moray aquisition) indicated that they'd be loosening that up (RSN :-).