19 Oct 2024 06:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: nemesis
Date: 12 Dec 2007 22:05:00
Message: <web.4760a07f922777eb2067189c0@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at vtSPAM.edu"> wrote:
> Tell me how, in any way shape or form, a 2 year old getting cancer and
> dying painfully fits into any plan to make the rest of the world a
> better place.

A painful departure always creates a change of heart to those who stay.  It may
also happen to those truly faithful, in which case I see it as provation.

> Can God stop it if he wanted to?

yes, He's God Almighty.

> Why doesn't he?

Maybe he wants to interfere as little in actions resulted from free will as
possible.  Who am I to answer?

> Why should I worship some one/thing that wouldn't stop these things from
> happening?

Because regardless of evil I have respect for the being that created all.

> Show me an actual miracle.

A miracle is born everyday.  Are you expecting something extraordinaire and of a
big scale?

is this good enough?:
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061024.html

thing of how many souls will die and suffer in the collision!  Of course, it may
be that such events are so slow that the intelligent beings there already
fled...

> They were so common in the OT days, and Jesus
> performed them on street corners.

Those were the days of the covenant and God was more actively influencing the
world.  Please, respect Jesus by not comparing him to some sort of David
Blaine.

> Why, all these years later, are we
> asked to take it on faith that one book tells the truth and other books
> tell lies?

Because it is the Word of God.  Can it be all just a bunch of poems, folk tales,
outright lies and hopes from schizoids or downright liars?  Yes.  How can I be
sure it is true?  I can't.

I don't base my judgement on logic or evidence, but on faith alone.  Why do I
have faith then?  Because the History of God's people as described by the Bible
makes sense to me.  Because I've been witness of God's subtle way into the
world.

> And my reason for not believing in the healing power of prayer is that,
> simply, it never worked from where I saw it. I haven't seen cancer
> disappear from prayer alone. I never saw limbs grow back, scars
> disappear, or painful injuries simple go away.

Man is not a reptile to have his limbs grown back.  Praying that much won't
change God's laws ruling over physical matters, unless you're Jesus or another
anointed one.

BTW, it reminded me of a joke:
A Father and a Rabbi were out to watch some boxing.
Before the fight, the boxer in blue shorts made the sign of the cross.
The Rabbi asked the Father:  "What does that mean anyway?"
The Father retorted:  "Nothing, if he doesn't know how to fight."

> while I disagree with your belief and simply don't agree with it, the
> few quirky statements offering to pray for the 'non-believers' shows
> that you don't really respect those who don't share your belief.

sorry about the offer for pray.  It clearly generated more evil than good.
fucked up world...