POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : povray 3.7 source code : Re: povray 3.7 source code Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray 3.7 source code
From: Aqeel Mahesri
Date: 12 Dec 2007 16:15:00
Message: <web.47604f234fd42ca4e639f01b0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Aqeel Mahesri <mah### [at] uiucedu> wrote:
> > I would be interested in obtaining the povray 3.7 source code, even if it is in
> > beta form. I want to use it as a benchmark but I need to recompile it with
> > slight source code modifications. Is there any way I could obtain a tarball of
> > the code?
>
>   The general answer is that you'll have to wait for the public release.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Looking at the open source plans for povray 4.0, I think it's safe to assume
that the reason you won't provide source code is not because of any
copyright/trade secret restrictions. I assume that you are concerned about
having to provide support for code that hasn't been fully tested, which is
understandable, though I think you would be able to complete 3.7 much faster if
you were to allow more people access to the source code.

Could you please let me know when you expect the release to be? Alternately,
could you tell me what conditions you'd be willing to provide the code under?

Thanks