18 Oct 2024 01:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Grassblade
Date: 10 Dec 2007 17:10:00
Message: <web.475db8ff922777eb6c8c02a10@news.povray.org>
> Grassblade wrote:
> > Lessee. Have you ever observed a point, a line or a segment? As I'm sure you
> > know, the correct answer is: no, because they aren't defined.
>
> Sure, they're defined. They're just not real in the real world. :-)
>
> > They're oh-so-conveniently axiomatised (is that a word?).
>
> That would be how they got defined.
>

> Have you ever seen an electron, or a single photon? How do you know they
> exist?
[Dumb]Because I'm told so?[/Dumb] :-D

> > If you have never seen them, and nobody has and never will, how do you know they
exist?

> They don't, as you're trying to mean it. They're mathematical
> abstractions. They exist as a thought construct in your brain and mine,
> but not as something "out there".
>
> > Geometry is based on
> > them, and space vectors too. Since there is no evidence of points' and lines'
> > existence, I can claim with atheistic certainty, that geometry doesn't exist,
> > and consequently neither ray-tracing.
>
> Except they do exist.
My point exactly.

> They just don't exist "out there".
Well, the Bible claims good and evil come from the heart. Does that qualify as
not "out there"? *Runs and hides*

<snip>
> I'm not judging God.
You said in an earlier post that God is evil. In the post I replied to, you said
he was a SOB in the book of Job. That sounds like judging God to me.

> I'm judging the world around me, and I see that it
> holds evil.
So? That's men for you. (Huh, that came out weird :-O )

> And I'm judging some people who claim to know the will of
> God, and see them too doing evil.
>
> How could I be passing judgement on God if I don't believe in God?
> That's kind of silly. I'm passing judgement on my belief, and its
> compatibility with God as described by many religious people. Since, of
> course, every religious person has a different conceptualization of God,
> I can't even imagine how I could pass judgement on *your* God.

I have a hard time believing that God isn't compatible with your beliefs. It's
just an additional axiom. Unnecessary, apparently, but hardly colliding with
other axioms. Except the axiom of "there is no God".