17 Oct 2024 10:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Grassblade
Date: 9 Dec 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.475c5358922777eb22e9f4040@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> > Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
> >> Well, using logical scientific arguments to talk about religion DOESN'T
> >> WORK.
> >
> >   So that means that even if someone wants to explain in a completely
> > rational fashion some detail of the Bible, it's a perfectly valid form
> > of counter-argumentation to throw back irrational straw men?
>
> Nope. Nor did I do so. I merely pointed out what the Bible said. Josh
> was the one that came up with the unsupported rationalization.
>
> What's a straw-man about pointing out that eating the Tree of Knowledge
> gave us the same knowledge as God has?
>
> >   "Science", in a broad term, is not always about hard science, about the
> > mechanics of the universe. Science can also refer to the study of sociology,
> > culture, psychology, philosophy and logic. Something can be argumented
> > logically even if it doesn't necessarily refer to an actual physical
> > phenomenon.
>
> Yes, but to be science, it needs to be based on some sort of
> observation. What observation is "God's smarter than you are" based on?
Lessee. Have you ever observed a point, a line or a segment? As I'm sure you
know, the correct answer is: no, because they aren't defined. They're
oh-so-conveniently axiomatised (is that a word?). If you have never seen them,
and nobody has and never will, how do you know they exist? Geometry is based on
them, and space vectors too. Since there is no evidence of points' and lines'
existence, I can claim with atheistic certainty, that geometry doesn't exist,
and consequently neither ray-tracing.

> Have you read Job?
Yes. For those who don't know, it's about a very wise, very knowledgeable guy,
who thinks he is wronged by God, and demands justice. It's supposed to teach
humility. Funny that you should mention it.
> He's a sadistic SOB in that book. It sure doesn't
> sound like a good and loving God to me. And here I am, with the
> knowledge of good and evil. Yet I'm being told to shut up,
Who told you to shut up?!
> ignore what I
> read in the Bible, don't think about it, because God is so much smarter
> that what he does can't make sense, including not making sense to the
> person telling me this.
Don't you think you'd need all the relevant information to pass judgement? Do
judges just flip a coin or go by gut feeling in your country? AFAIK the Bible
only holds enough information to believe in God, not to pass judgment on Him
(apart from the sheer hubris of wanting to judge him in the first place).