17 Oct 2024 08:13:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Grassblade
Date: 9 Dec 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.475c5322922777eb22e9f4040@news.povray.org>
> Of course he can. Whether you believe in science and whether you believe
> in God are orthogonal. Many scientists are rather devout. It's *because*
> religion is illogical that this is possible.
It is? I can only talk about Christianism, but how silly of me to think that
about 1500 years of Europe's greatest minds would have ironed out the kinks so
much so that atheists can't think of anything really persuasive to make their
case. Christianism is based on a dogma: God exists. All the rest is logically
gleaned from the Bible. Mathematicians use axioms and then derive conclusions
logically from there. According to you, then, maths is illogical and irrational
because it is necessarily based on (unproven) axioms.

> > 3) Any logical-sounding statement defending religion made by a religious
> >    person must be flawed. It's not possible to approach religion in any
> >    logical and rational way. Religion always equals irrationality and
> >    illogical thinking.
>
> I don't think that's the case, no. Religion usually is illogical and
> unscientific, but to the extent that there's evidence, I think it's no
> longer faith. I.e., if you could logically convince someone of religion,
> I'm not sure it would be religion any more. When people got convinced
> that Thor wasn't real, it wasn't replaced with a different religion.
It wasn't? They went straight from Norse to atheist? Wow.