17 Oct 2024 02:13:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Dec 2007 14:40:00
Message: <web.47584feb922777ebf48316a30@news.povray.org>
> I saw a web site that made a fairly convincing argument it was actually
> satan. For example, satan lives in the fire that burns without
> consuming, just like the fire of the bush. :-)

why do you listen to convincing arguments about Satan but not about God?  You
seem selectively inconsistent in your atheism and logical reasoning.

> God could talk to me personally in a way that made it clear he really
> was God.  (Now, I might be convinced but merely insane, as in,
> incorrect. But I'd still be convinced.)

God talks to us everyday in subtle ways.  Besides, if he took the form of Morgan
Freeman and talked directly to you, would you believe it?  no, of course not, He
should've take the form of a 20 meter gold talking statue for you to believe.
and even then you might think you end up wandering in a Hollywood blockbuster
set...

Now, don't you think it's too egoistical of your part, like a stubborn child, to
demand that God provides a particular show for your own enjoyment to restabilish
your faith?

> A religion where everyone actually believed the same things, and who
> always won wars of oppression against them.

not possible:  the devil won't let it happen.

> Humans indistinguishable from us showing up from another planet saying
> they too were created by God and had essentially the same holy books.

what if they are not like us at all?  ie. a highly intelligent gaseous life
form?
oh, I see!   I can believe in ETs, elves or Santa, but not God...

> Jesus actually returning to actual Earth would be a good start, too.

Are you sure?  Who would attest some guy, probably humble and poor, to be Jesus?
 would you believe him?  oh, I'm betting you would only believe if he started
walking over the waters or making fish rain...

> Someone announcing that they're going to pray for an end to cancer, and
> spontaneous remission of all cancers all over the world occurs shortly
> after.

that would be Jesus, right?

> A religion where no baby of religious parents is born with birth defects.

see original sin.

> A faith healer who can regenerate amputated limbs through the power of
> touch.

> Jesus said that moving mountains is easy for anyone with faith. So, move
> a mountain. Put Mt Fuji off the coast of San Diego for a week, and I'll
> believe faith can move mountains.

Mountains of problems.  Don't read things too literally:  Jesus used parables a
lot to get his point across.  If God wanted everyone to be like Neo on the
Matrix he wouldn't have created physical laws in the first place.  Let's be
consistent, ok?

> A ten-year period where no church of that religion is ever struck by a
> disaster or even lightning.

that's just lame.  why ten year?  Churches are human institutions and are just
as fallible and bound to the original sin.