POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stop the ride - : Re: stop the ride - Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stop the ride -
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 6 Dec 2007 09:10:01
Message: <web.475801ba37f50ac8dd21a49b0@news.povray.org>
Indeed there have been and continue to be local shortages of food due to forces
beyond human control.

Nevertheless, I maintain that hunger and starvation are almost always
human-induced.  Unstable governments prevent people from being able to provide
for themselves.  When bands of local "militia" roam around with automatic
weapons, it is unfruitful for locals to even attempt to be prosperous, because
it will only mean that the militia will then come and demand it from them.

Unstable governments result in various combinations of oppressive taxes,
frequent revolutions and civil war, non-existent crime prevention, etc.
Government money is spent on military concerns rather than building
infrastructure that would grow the local economy.

Therefore, those who live by sustenance farming cannot save up anything to carry
them through a bad crop year.  Lack of infrastructure and stability prevent
industries from developing that would otherwise provide employment and way to
buy food.  The corruption and instability of the government prevent food from
reaching the people either through trade or charity.

I think you will agree with me that there is enough food--somewhere--but
instable governments prevent it from reaching those who need it.

---
PS:  It's not going to solve the problem, but it may help a little and is fun in
the meantime:  www.freerice.com