POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) : Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray)
From: zeroin23
Date: 28 Nov 2007 02:10:01
Message: <web.474d13738f32c258b0f5bef80@news.povray.org>
"Paul Bourke" <pau### [at] uwaeduau> wrote:
> > > trace frames 0,10,20,30... on PC 1, frames 1,11,21... on PC 2 etc.
> > Wouldn't it be simpler to simply trace eg. frames 0-9 in PC 1, 10-19 in PC 2, etc?
>
> Well neither are ideal but the original scheme is better ... a key goal of
> distributed rendering is load balancing, that is, you don't want to be waiting
> at the end for one machine to finish because it was doing all the slow frames.
> SInce many/most animations have some parts that are slower to render than
> others, rendering every n'th frame on a machine is preferable.
>
> The best way (optimal load balancing) is to have a server that is spawning jobs
> to the clients as each client finishes a frame. In the worst case then you are
> only waiting at the end for the length of time it takes one frame to render.
> This is the way I do it, it isn't hard to script and there are some free tools
> available to do this automatically. If you are luck enough to have a Mac then
> just use xgrid that is supplied free with all macs.

> P a u l   B o u r k e
> http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/

I absolutely detest this forum for timing out (while typing my post) and
required me to login again and eventually loosing my original post!!!

free tools like?

I wrote my script on jdk1.6.0_02 using the subframes and a windoze netshare
folder to maintain concurrency (as the creation of the 'checkfile' is atomic).