POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields : Re: Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Converting to usable 16 bit height-fields
From: Andy W
Date: 26 Nov 2007 06:50:00
Message: <web.474ab2dcf40b7d4d5d6df44f0@news.povray.org>
Ah-ha! I think I have it. My converter assumes an unsigned 16-bit integer, and
my data is signed 16 bit. So what happens is that everything below sea level is
coming through as something around 65000 meters, and by scaling to keep that on
screen, everything else looks to be close to flat.

My guess is the POV, too, works assuming unsigned 16 bit (0-65536) rather than
signed 16 bit (-32768-32789), as it is working, generally, with image formats
rather than with data formats.