POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Single Parse Stereoscopic? : Re: Single Parse Stereoscopic? Server Time
19 May 2024 19:07:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Single Parse Stereoscopic?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 21 Nov 2007 08:40:02
Message: <web.4744352ef2015f4bc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Leef_me" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I wrote a macro many years ago (2001) that uses mirrors to create a stereoscopic
> > effect to some success.
> >
> > Here is a modern render using it.
> >
> > -tgq
>
> VERY NICE.
>
> Would you be willing to share your work with the rest of the class?
>
> Leef_me
>
> (muttering to self)     very nice indeed...

Certainly.  I thought I had posted it way back then, but I can seem to find it
on the boards now...

Anyways, I'll post the macro file and sample scene file in p.b.sf to be picked
apart.

The sample scene file doesn't use the my HDRI light system as the posted image
does as people may not have it or may not have megaPOV installed for it.  If
you want to use it, find it in the p.b.sf group
(http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/message/%3Cweb.46488bca4e05d400c150d4c10%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cw
eb.46488bca4e05d400c150d4c10%40news.povray.org%3E)

For the macro, you set the number of views you want and the spacing of the
cameras.  The camera viewing angle is calculated from this.  (To get a wider
view, you have to spac the cameras further apart, not further away).
This macro is not particularly suited to large scenes as the object or scene
being viewed has to be declared as a single object to be passed to the macro.
The macro works by placing the camera at the look_at location, and surrounding
it with mirrors reflecting directly back at it with appropriate spacing based
on the variables.  This means that the camera is potentially inside the viewing
object, which is why it needs to be declared and given a "no_image" flag so the
camera can see out of it.

Anyways, have a look and make any adjustments or changes as needed.

-tgq