POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : GPU Rendering : Re: GPU Rendering Server Time
19 May 2024 20:33:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GPU Rendering
From: Chambers
Date: 19 Nov 2007 14:15:00
Message: <web.4741e030bb28b9b8fcdb825b0@news.povray.org>
"zeroin23" <zer### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> anyone looked at the below?>
>
> Last Updated: 10 / 11 / 2007
> http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda.html

Yes, I have.  It has severe limitations in place that wouldn't affect game (or
many scanline renderers, for that matter), but which make it unusable for POV.

I'll take another look at it in a year or two, and see if its changed enough by
then.  However, it's my personal prediction that for POV, the most efficient
course will be to wait for Intel and AMD to up the number of cores in their
chips (Intel has blabbed about the possibility of *thousands* of cores, while
AMD is being a bit more conservative in their predictions).

....Chambers