POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Alcohol. : Re: Alcohol. Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:47:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alcohol.
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Nov 2007 05:25:00
Message: <web.473d6f1be392abcb726bd13c0@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
> > Bill Pragnell <bil### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> >> Ross wrote:
> >
> >> I'm also rather fond of German and Belgian beers (especially the ones
> >> from those Trappist monasteries - consume with caution!), which for
> >> sheer variety of flavour and strength cannot be beaten anywhere in the
> >> world, although some New Zealand beers get quite close.
> >
> > Have you tried Hoegaarden? I must say that I am fond of it.
>
> Hmm, I can take or leave Hoegaarden; I find the taste a little strange.
> For widely available draught beer I prefer Leffe, especially the darker
> (brune) variety. That's the beauty of these beers though; the wide range
> caters to all tastes! Some of the fruit beers (e.g. Fruli) are starting
> to become available over here too now, although they're definitely not
> for all palates.
>

> > get a pint of heavy.
>
> Ahh that's a shame. It's worth trying ales from all over the UK though,
> the flavours are as varied as the continental ones. Most real ale
> doesn't tend to travel very far because the breweries are small.

I lost the taste for real ales during a period when they tasted worse than my

usually stick to Red Stripe. When I was working at D&G I promised to keep
drinking it to help their economy. That is true and it is one promise that I
will keep as long as I can. (Thanks Jenny) :)

I lived in Scotland.

> > too much for my stomach. Three pints and I spin, pitch and yaw. But whisky, I
> > can drink that until I fall down and still feel OK.
>
> Ah, now whisky's another tipple I have time for, particularly the single
> malts. Scotch seems to have the widest range (Talisker is a personal
> favourite), but there are a couple of good Irish ones too (whiskey in
> that case - note the e, pedants). I'm not keen on bourbon; some might
> say it barely qualifies as whiskey but I shan't be going down that road
> today!
>
> I tend to get really wasted with really bad hangovers if I drink
> whisk(e)y with beer, but if I stick to one or the other I'm generally OK.

I prefer the whiskies from the east coast the ones that are not peaty, like
Glenmorangie and The Famous Grouse for blended. I like drinking beer with

> > You are right about alcohol disrupting your sleep. One drink can relax you but
> > more than that stimulates you unless you drink enough to fall into a drunken
> > stupor.
>
> I read somewhere that one or two actually act as stimulants but the
> depressant effects take over quickly after that. Apparently it
> suppresses REM sleep.

What I was told was; one relaxes you, two simulates you, more keeps you awake.

> >> Enjoy in moderation. Kids! Don't take drugs!

> > tests.
>
> Ah, I was just being silly. If alcohol were invented today it'd probably
> be a class A. Kids! Don't take drugs! Leave some for the rest of us! :)

Stephen