POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : radiosity vs. double_illuminate : Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: radiosity vs. double_illuminate
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 13 Nov 2007 16:55:01
Message: <web.473a1cf4c65e62dcc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
> >> As for MegaPOV 1.2.1 @ WinXP the front square doesn't get doubly
> >> illuminated by the green sphere. Can you post your configuration, please?
> > It's not double_illuminated by radiosity, and sould'nt be.
> >
> How come it shouldn't?

This is meant to say that the POV code is written such that radiosity does not
use the double_illuminate flag, so it shouldn't be expected to act as such, not
that theoretically or conceptually it shouldn't (couldn't) be considered.

However, that brings up the question on whether it should or could be
implemented in future code (beta if it's very simple, patched versions for
those coding enthusiasts, POV4 beyond that)

Seeing as it's a feature that is present for traditional light sources, I don't
see why it shoulnd't be allowed to affect radiosity as well, but I don't know
how easy it would be to add to the source code, perhaps it's not a trivial
matter.  This would be for the coders out there to decide.

-tgq