POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cylindrical projection : Re: Cylindrical projection Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cylindrical projection
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 7 Nov 2007 19:50:01
Message: <web.47325c205849c6cc1e310e6a0@news.povray.org>
>  I had visited the pages and I was interested in them. They seems applicable
specially
>  "Image warping for projection onto a cylinder" part,
>  but I didn't find any algorithm or detailed information on it. Actually I'm
> just working on image warping.
>  Would you give me some detailed algorithms to implement it?

Well, there are lots of possible ways .... since you posted this to the PovRay
group, one way is to render a panoramic image of your scene using PovRay. Then
create a second model that consists of just a cylinder, the same dimensions as
the cylinder you plan to project onto and with your panoramic image applied as
a texture. Create a camera at the same location and of the same specifications
as your data projector. If you render this second scene then you will have the
correctly warped result. Note that since PovRay doesn't readily do offset
frustums then you need to get up to tricks like this to get the offset frustrum
your data projector creates.
   http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/projection/mirrorrender/