POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) : Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray) Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:16:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where to find a comparison of modern ray-tracers (speed > POVray)
From: Tom York
Date: 4 Nov 2007 20:50:00
Message: <web.472e769a8f32c2587d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
"StephenPope" <stp### [at] createucsbedu> wrote:
> I'm still looking for any comments at all about alternatives to POV-Ray.
>
> Are there faster ray tracers out there?
>
> Is POV-Ray the fastest?
>
> Do any others have as good scene description languages as POV-Ray?
>
> Do any support clusters of SMP Intel Macs?

I'm afraid you will probably have to compare them yourself; such work is
time-consuming and very scene-dependent, and so quite rare. Most of the
alternative raytracers I know of do not run on macs, and almost all of them
lack a scene-description language meant for human use. The only one I know of
that might be comparable and runs on Macs is PBRT, but it's single-threaded:

http://www.pbrt.org/downloads.php

LuxRender is apparently based on PBRT, but I don't know how much it was modified
- they may have changed the input format, and I don't know if they kept the pure
raytracing support or if you can only do path tracing with it:

http://www.luxrender2.org