POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Stereoscopic camera : Re: Stereoscopic camera Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stereoscopic camera
From: Paul Bourke
Date: 28 Oct 2007 21:45:00
Message: <web.4725483858c111e2e5a039020@news.povray.org>
>   (However, now that I look more closely, it seems that the floor is
> actually some distance away from the cube, deducing from the shadow.
> This was rather confusing. Perhaps it would be clearer if the cube
> standed on the floor instead of hovering?)

Actually, that is also intentional. I know the model/rendering is fairly lame
but everything there is created for a precise reason, namely so that it can be
verified when viewed in stereo.

So for example, if I match the offaxis frustums used in PovRay to the real
frustums my eyes make to the stereoscopic projected screen I have here then I
expect ...
- for the cube to be exactly half in and half out of the room
- the cube should appear to hover at the right height  *** to address your
comment.
- the floor to be a continuation of the real floor here with the right
perspective (VERY powerful)
- the balls to appear at the expected positions, in particular the blue one half
way between me and the scrreen and the green one exactly at the screen depth

Now of course most times one doesn't have the luxury of positioning your head at
just the right spot, or the screen is a different size, etc. These all cause the
depths to be distorted, scaled if one sits too close or far, sheared if one is
positioned off center ... we are quite intolerant to this (as long we one stays
still) and the depth relations still exist (if wrong) and are engaging. But for
some applications it is important to aim for a 1:1 relationship between the
real and the virtual, this can be acheived with this idea of matching the
frustums used to create the content with the real frustums.

Of course with OpenGL and realtime generation the frustums can be dynamically
modified to give the exactly right view no matter where the viewer is....hence
head tracked stereoscopic systems.