POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : instantiation in various 3d formats : Re: instantiation in various 3d formats Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: instantiation in various 3d formats
From: Tom York
Date: 28 Oct 2007 10:45:00
Message: <web.4724ad79c654e3737d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Charles C <"nospam a nospam.com"> wrote:
> Basically I like the idea of having the flexibility of being able to
> export to a fairly universal format like .obj.   But if .obj doesn't
> support instantiation, and if my model is (or will be) a collection of
> tens if not (perhaps) hundreds of thousands of non-unique meshes (save
> the for transformation of each), then man oh man will that be a big
> file.  I can't imagine most file formats would leave out such a basic
> thing.

A lot of older formats would have been dealing with very simple scenes (for an
example of a format that time has really left behind, look at .3DS). I guess
the use case for a lot of those formats was to hold a single model rather than
a scene. You want a modern interchange format; Collada springs to mind.

Tom