POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Alpha-transparent scattering media overlay problem. : Re: Alpha-transparent scattering media overlay problem. Server Time
5 Jul 2024 13:59:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alpha-transparent scattering media overlay problem.
From: Ghost2
Date: 26 Oct 2007 13:45:01
Message: <web.47222681cfe67d58f8cd2ee70@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > No dice.  I tried the light_group trick, and either the media box blocks
> > the
> > light coming from the prism; or when I put the prism/light emitter/plane
> > in
> > a group, it disables photon mapping, which gets rid of the rainbow effect.
>
> For alpha transparency to have any effect you need to be looking at
> the background and not a solid plane.  Comment that out and then
> you can layer your glow image over the other image with the text and
> prism.

I know.  The problem is that when it renders, the whole image is transparent
(checker) except for the region where the media box is.  It is mostly
transparent (e.g. the lit areas look normal), but the parts that arent lit
are a dark grey color, instead of being completely transparent.   So you
end up with a box-shaped grey artifact instead of just the lit areas (e.g.
name 'halo').

If you run the example code I posted without the plane, and alpha on, you'll
see what I mean.