POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A question about sss implementation in Blender : Re: A question about sss implementation in Blender Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:24:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A question about sss implementation in Blender
From: Antonio Ferrari
Date: 24 Oct 2007 04:40:00
Message: <web.471f04991cea9bf34e64f15d0@news.povray.org>
> I confess that I agree, but now is probably a good time to thank everyone
> who has developed POV-Ray for their effort.  Assuming most of the
> developers have a life outside of this, it's all the more impressive.  That
> said, subsurface scattering sure would be a great addition.  I know media is
> more robust, but I can never get that to work right.  Oh, and someone has
> already implemented this in POV-Ray, but it's probably not for sharing
> (look at the last line):

http://www-static.cc.gatech.edu/grads/t/Sarah.Tariq/a_practical_model_for_subsurface.html

Yes. I also have a work and I'm out of my house from 7am to 20pm. I have
also a little child of one year old. But in spite of this I'm trying to
develop a patch that allows to use media ii such a way that can model sss.
I'm trying to do this adding a new pattern that can be used in density
contest. DF3 files could be used, but they need a double pass to render and
an external program. If my idea will be OK, I hove to model a density
pattern that grows exponentially with the (minimal) distance from a generic
surface. It's just an aid to avoid df3 alternative. I've already talked of
these topics in other posts. Obviously rendering time grows up a lot.

I'm already at a good point of developement and I've already obtained good
results. Unfortunately not always I've found a sufficient support in this
forum. So I had to study and debug by my own. Anyway thanks to everyone
that have helped me.

Antonio

P.S. The source code of Sarah Tariq is not available. Can anyone try to
contact her?