POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sunny outdoor lighting : Re: Sunny outdoor lighting Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Sunny outdoor lighting
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Oct 2007 09:20:00
Message: <web.471ca2aed8eb8586731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Nicolas George <nicolas$george@salle-s.org> wrote:
> As a more theoretical question, would it be possible, with the radiosity
> algorithm, to have different gray_threshold for each object?

I'm not sure. It's certainly not possible with the current implementation; I
don't know how easy (or worthwhile) a patch it would be.

> Is it enough to set the global_settings ambient_light to 0, or is it
> necessary to add a finish { ambient 0 } to each object in the scene.

From the documentation:

"The actual ambient used is: Ambient = Finish_Ambient * Global_Ambient."

So if you set global ambient = 0 then it will work fine. If you want nonzero
ambient light then it's better to use the #default finish { } and only
specify the ambient values you want to override.

Have fun. I like bright daylight scenes with radiosity, you can get some
really realistic results!