POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface : Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:35:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Simple 2D text on a cylinder's surface
From: Leef me
Date: 20 Oct 2007 21:35:01
Message: <web.471aabbaee0c3636892adb1d0@news.povray.org>
Samuel Benge <stb### [at] THIShotmailcom> wrote:
> Leef_me wrote:
> > Hey Samuel can you tell me why I loose part of the first few characters?
> > see code below
> >
> > Leef_me
>
> Yes, you are experiencing that old problematic artifact known as
> coincident surfaces. The front of the text object occupies the exact
> same space as the surface of the disc. Since the text object is 1 unit
> deep, change it to this:
>
> #declare my_text=
> text{
>   ttf"arialbd.ttf"
>   "Test"
>   1,0
>   translate -z/2
> }
>
> Doing that will allow the text object to intersect the disc correctly,
> thus displaying all of the text.
>
> Sam

That does indeed <solved> the problem. And in understand the concept of
coincident surfaces. I failed to try translating the text in that axis.
I have experienced coincident surfaces as a random pixelation between the
two surfaces.

What I don't understand and what really through me was that it wasn't the
whole string. Just the top left at the start of the string was cut off at
an angle.

Thanks for the solution, now I start to comprehend the code.

Leef_me