POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : an analytic geometry question : Re: an analytic geometry question Server Time
8 Jul 2024 18:55:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: an analytic geometry question
From: honnza
Date: 20 Oct 2007 09:40:00
Message: <web.471a04d4e98c81e7a9ce4df50@news.povray.org>
> It suffices to know E. From there it is just getting an arc from the
> endpoints and a tangent at one endpoint in a plane (two times of course).

> If you are still sure that you have a continuum of solutions, then you can
> eliminate one degree by forcing <E-A,E-A>=<E-B,E-B>. Geometrically this
> means that the point E has the same distance from A and B, which is maybe
> not an esthetically bad way to choose among the possibilities. It adds one
> more equation, this time a polynomial of degree 2. It has the benefit that
> for turning the other equations into polynomials it suffices to multiply
> by <E-A,E-A>, yielding polynomials of degree just 2.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>   Mark Weyer

Thanks a lot for your answer. Meanwhile I had a similar idea of
parametrising by their common tangent direction (the position can be
calculated as a plane-plane intersection) and comparing the corresponding
tangent points. This yiels one equation for two degrees of freedom, thus
creating the continuum.
Also, I might use your idea of selecting the solution.