POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : how to make a diamond sparkle? : how to make a diamond sparkle? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 15:51:09 EDT (-0400)
  how to make a diamond sparkle?
From: inhahe
Date: 16 Oct 2007 05:20:01
Message: <web.471481d1aefb64f4e93817f20@news.povray.org>
I'm not an advanced user of POVRay, but I thought only advanced users would
be knowledgeable enough to answer my question.

i want to do refraction where colors are separated, like in the prism
effect.  afaik the feature that does this is photon mapping.  but from a
little bit of reading I get the impression that photon mapping would only
project colors onto surfaces, not onto the camera.  so, e.g. if i created a
diamond i wouldn't see it shine with various colors.

but i had an idea.  let's say I create a white surface, with a lens-shaped
refracting object in front of it, and put a black box around it except for
the lens, like a camera.  then i point this contraption toward the diamond
or whatever, and put the povray camera inside the contraption pointing
toward the white surface.  then of course when the image is rendered I flip
it horizontally and vertically.

will this work?
is it necessary?