POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Viewing Photon Maps : Viewing Photon Maps Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Viewing Photon Maps
From: Jim
Date: 14 Oct 2007 17:30:01
Message: <web.47128659e2eef7cc91227f400@news.povray.org>
Still trying to get some practical knowledge about photon mapping. Simple
question this time... Is there any easily available method or tool to
visualize saved photon data? By that, I mean seeing a visual representation
of the photons stored. (much of the literature of photon mapping shows such
represnetations - ie, Figure 5.4 of Realistic Image Synthesis Using Photon
Mapping)

Since it's 3D data (right?) it's not like you can open up the ".ph" file in
GIMP (etc.) and expect to see anything. Even just a way to do a planar
projection of the data would be great. It seems like a simple enough thing
to do that surely it exists

I've already tried the only solution obvious to me - render the scene
setting all ambient terms to 0. Is there some better/easier way I'm
missing?