POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: Tom York
Date: 7 Oct 2007 06:55:01
Message: <web.4708ba66bcc3cc027d55e4a40@news.povray.org>
Fa3ien <fab### [at] yourshoesskynetbe> wrote:
> But if there's a propre shading system, there are chances that someone
> someday will write a GUI system like the one described to help designing
> shaders.
>
> Fabien.

Maybe, depends on the shading language (and on POV4's licensing terms,
although if they do use GPL3 then those will not be an issue). In the
meantime folk'll be stuck writing such things in whatever tertiary language
ends up getting used, under the current plans. I suspect this will annoy
some prospective users of v4, since the one thing that people bother to
mention in the new features of the *renderer* rather than the SDL is more
flexible shading capabilities. If they're inaccessible via the SDL, or at
all inconvenient to use, then many people will think, why bother? Mind you
the suggestions I've seen for the new SDL look so different from the
original SDL that maybe the old user base won't bother with v4 at all.

Tom